[vlc] Re: WMV3 Error on VLC

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Feb 27 22:46:32 CET 2005

On 26 feb 2005, at 21:29, Mark Moriarty wrote:
> Not that I know of, I'm afraid.
>
> MS has kept their wmv3 format closed-source (proprietary).  They are
> attempting to get a subset of it defined as an industry standard, and
> there
> is some move going on in the open-source commuity to implement it, but
> nothing concrete as of yet.

Actually this just takes a lot of time and effort so we need to be
patient. We could also just hit M$ very hard and tell them they should
stop using/making stupid proprietary software.

> There is another player which will work with copies of Windows DLLs,
> but
> that doesn't help Mac users -- it only works, as far as I know, on
> Linux
> implementations that are using Intel Pentium (or equivalent AMD)
> processors.
> The PowerPC that the Mac is on has a fundamentally different underlying
> architecture, so you cannot just pick up a copy of an Intel binary and
> use
> it.

Correct.
Also, WMV3 is supported on Mac OSX trough WMP9 for the Mac, the problem
is that it only support WMV3 in ASF or WMV files (but even this is
highly crash prone and incomplete implementation) and not in AVI files.

So basically, don't blame us, blame Microsoft and tell them to write
better software.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente