[vlc] Re: vlc streaming howto?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Wed Jan 5 05:32:14 CET 2005

Hi folks,

I finally got this work, I had to change the vlc command as follows:

vlc udp://@:5010 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=512,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=192.168.1.245:5012}}'

That works under linux.

Now, the stream is output to port 5012 and I can access via WMP!

However, I'm having another problem. As you can see by the command line, the
output to port 5012 has a bitrate of 512..

So I tried to also use VLC to access that stream on 5012 and output it to a
file. I basically ran this:

vlc mmsh://192.168.1.245:5012  --sout
'#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=asf,url="/tmp/test1.wmv"}}'

So, I'm expecting to get a file /tmp/test1.wmv which has a bitrate of
roughly 512. I'm not attempting to do any transcoding, I'm taking it as-is
since the stream is already transcoded with the other command.

But what happens is I get file with a bitrate of roughly 1024, and not only
that, the audio is not synchronized with the video. If I try to put
transcoding parameters, I end up getting a video that basically runs in slow
motion, I'm not sure why.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks
Ricardo