[vlc] Problems Encoding mp2a Above 256k

Jason Simms jsimms at utk.edu
Tue Jan 11 00:21:49 CET 2005

Hello,

I am unable to stream MPEG-2 audio at anything greater than 256k.  The
only other option above 256k is 512k, but whenever I choose that and
start the stream the software immediately exits (this is on Windows XP
using 0.8.1, and the behavior resembles a segfault on Linux).  What
might be causing this?

Beyond this, it is my understanding that MPEG-2 is a non-variable 2
megabit stream (roughly), so I don't even understand why I must choose a
bitrate at which to encode the output.  Certainly, 512k comes nowhere
close to 2 megabit, so what am I missing (conceptually or otherwise!)?

Thanks,
Jason Simms