[vlc] Re: Questions about VLC using two channels at the same time

Afonso Lima afonso_neto2004 at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 22 13:21:35 CET 2005

Thanks for the tip BigBen,

Now I'll see the V4L2 documentation.
I'll tell you something on monday.

Afonso.

Benjamin PRACHT <bigben+spam at videolan.org> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2005, Afonso Lima wrote :
> Hi BigBen,
>
> I'm openning two linux terminals and in each one writing the command from videolan documentation, and only changing the number of channel on each terminal.
> You've said VLC cannot open two channels from the same card at the same time. Is it true? How can I fix it? Have you ever experimented something like this?
> Its not interesting for me use two cards to view only 2 cameras.

Well, does your card allow grabbing from the 2 sources at the same time,
or are there exclusive ? (In the cases of cards with a Composite an a
S-Video Input, that is often the latter...). I'm not familiar with V4L
at all, but I guess There should be a different /dev/videoX device for
each of the capture devices if grabbing 2 streams is possible. Please
also be aware that VLC currently only has support for V4L1, not V4L2. If
the ability to grap 2 streams at the same time from one single card
depends of the V4L2 compatibility, there might be an issue.

--
BigBen