[vlc] Re: STB compatible with VLC and MPEG4

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Wed Jan 26 14:34:31 CET 2005

Hi Paul

Paul Rae wrote:
> They may not be shipping through our Disti's yet but the 120 most certainly is a real product. If you talk to your Regional Sales Manager they should be able to talk to you about samples.

Which chipset is your 120 box based on ?

Which chipset is your 130 box based on ?

Almost all (if not all) solutions based on Sigma Designs 84xx, 85xx and
86xx are flawed failing to implement MPEG-4 part 2 Pixel Aspect Ratio
(PAR) in Video Object Layer (VOL) correctly. Rumour has it, that some
are planning to fix this in firmware though nobody has been able to
demonstrate this yet.

Another questions. Ignoring your website does not mention MPEG-4 (yet),
then I noticed that it stipulates support for 'RTSP (VoD)'. Does it also
supports 'RTSP Live' ? The difference is that while RTSP VoD does
audio/video sync based on RTP timestamps, then RTSP Live has to sync
based on RTCP (not RTSP) messages. Can your box do that ?

Kind regards

--PMM