[vlc] Debian instructions wrong?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sun Jul 3 04:49:22 CEST 2005

I was attempting to follow the instructions for getting vlc and
libdvdcss2 from the VideoLAN site, but they appear to
be incorrect (or else the archive itself is not up):

http://videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html

Says:
 Debian stable (sarge)

A fairly recent version (between 0.8.1 and 0.8.2) is packaged in
Sarge. However, if you want libdvdcss (DVD decryption) support,
you will need to add the following lines to
your /etc/apt/sources.list:

     deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sarge main
     deb-src http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sarge main

For a normal install, do:

   # apt-get update
   # apt-get install vlc libdvdcss2

I was encouraged to think that this must be up-to-date information
since it calls "Sarge" "Debian stable", which happened only about a
month ago.

However, actually doing this on a freshly installed Sarge/3.1
system results in:
"""
Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate
"""

The update seems to have worked correctly unless I'm
really clueless, and I've been using apt-get for years, so
I don't *think* I've screwed that part up.

Has the archive site changed?  Is it still in flux because of
the recent release of Debian 3.1 Sarge?  I searched the
archives and googled the videolan site to see if I could find
someone else referencing this problem, but I can't.

Or is this, on an off-chance, working for everybody else and
I've really screwed up with apt-get?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,
Terry