[vlc] Re: vlc freeze when attempting to play .avi or use the toolbar

Stephen Jones wong_feihung at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 5 04:52:45 CEST 2005

Sorry about this - like a dork I finally work out what the problem is just
after sending that last email!

And the culprit was....   that evil little codec called DivX 5.2.1!!!

I will post this to the forum. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve

I have been using VLC for the last year and have been very happy with it.
However, recently it has started to refuse to play .avi files. If I attempt
to open an .avi the program freezes and I have to force quit. There is no
crash log. It will not play .avis off hard disk or off cd.

There is also a problem with the toolbar. VLC will play other non-.avi file
types. However, while playing other file types, if I try to use the toolbar
(eg to change the audio track) I get the same problem: freeze requiring a
force quit. Strangely enough, I cannot even open a non-.avi using the
toolbar: if I use Apple+O the "Open" window comes up and I can continue, but
if I try to use the toolbar, even before anything is playing, the program
freezes.

I was running version 0.8.1 when the problem first arose. I tried
downloading the latest beta version to see if that was any different but it
wasn't. I then tried 0.8.2 when that came out: same problem. I have a G4
iBook (933 MHz) running OSX 10.3.9. Can anybody help me with this?

Steve