[vlc] Re: 0.8.3-svn build error on Fedora Core 4 ppc

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Jul 12 19:00:03 CEST 2005

Benjamin Pracht wrote :

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote :
> > El Martes, 12 de Julio de 2005 18:09, Matthias Saou escribió:
> > [...]
> > > memcpyaltivec.c:109: error: 'vector' undeclared (first use in this
> > > function)
> >
> > Hhhmmm... sounds like you are missing the C STL library. Do you have all the
> > stuff related to libc6-dev and glibc-dev?
> >

> I would rather tend to think of a missing compiler flag, to tell it to
> use altivec C extensions... Either a bug in our build system, or flags
> to tell to use altivec have changed with gcc4...

Indeed, I can see from the snipped of build output I posted that none of
"-maltivec" or "-mabi=altivec" are present, whereas they are for the
ffmpeg compilation I do right before. I'll try forcing an append of both
the the CFLAGS I use and see what gives.

FYI, the configure script says this :

checking altivec.h usability... no
checking altivec.h presence... no
checking for altivec.h... no

And later on says this :

checking if $CC groks AltiVec inline assembly... yes
checking if $CC groks AltiVec C extensions...
checking if linker needs -framework vecLib... no

And finally the summary :

vlc configuration
--------------------
vlc version           : 0.8.3-svn
system                : linux
architecture          : powerpc altivec
build flavour         : optim release
vlc aliases           : svlc wxvlc

I'm not sure if any of the above is wrong or not. Possibly the empty
"AltiVec C extensions" should at least be yes or no...

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4.s3
Load : 0.56 0.42 0.43