[vlc] Re: sap problems under linux

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jul 15 16:37:44 CEST 2005

Le Vendredi 15 Juillet 2005 17:06, clemens kurtenbach a écrit :
> Hmm, okay, so vlc dont sends request packets to the multicast server,
> but i should recieve them when vlc registers my me (my ip) in some
> way..

VLC doesn't register to YOU. You should get some basic documentation on
how multicast / IGMP work.

The operating system should send an IGMP query to inform the network
infrastructure that it has at least one application willing to receive
SAP announces, that is to say receive traffic sent *to* sap.mcast.net.

> > What is your SAP announcer?

> Sorry, but what is the sap announcer ?  The Multicast Server ?

The SAP announcer is the program that is configured to send SAP
announce(s). If you have none, then it is no wonder that it doesn't
work.

> Since i recognized that i cant even ping dhe default ip
> (224.2.127.254),

Pinging 224.2.127.254 will actually ping all SAP listeners. That said,
given firewalling and the broken Microsoft IP stack, it usually doesn't
work.

> i set in my sap options the 63.251.38.194
> (sap.multicast.net)

You CANNOT subscribe to non-multicast address. This is
meaningless/invalid and is bound to generate an error.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/