[vlc] Re: transcode to AC3?

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Tue Jul 19 00:57:20 CEST 2005

Benjamin,

>> I'm trying to use VLC to transcode the audio in an MPEG2 PS, which is
>> current mpga, to AC3 to conform to ATSC specifications.  However, i've
>> not been successful.  This is what i'm doing:
>
> I would advise you to have a look at the doc, the streaming howto
> particularly. It has some exmaples on how transcoding works...
>
> (http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch04.html for instance)

I appreciate the pointer -- I read those to get as far as I did, and
i'm still reading them.  I'm trying this now:

./VLC ~/work/Preview1711206.trp --sout
'#transcode{acodec=ac3}:
standard{access=file,mux=ts,url=Preview1711206_transcoded.trp}'
--noloop

... but this doesn't work, either.  In fact, when I do it this way,
there is no audio in the resultant file (though the video plays
correctly).  Using the GUI to do the same thing works, though.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New album, "Touch", available now
http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
** now available on iTunes, doncha know **