[vlc] Gui interface ?

Fleu, Thomas Thomas.Fleu at acentic.com
Wed Jul 20 15:41:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm currently developing a new interface for vlc. It's similar to the telnet interface, i.e. there is no graphical user interface, it waits for commands coming in via a socket and plays movies. So far it works fine. However, I want to be able to change the output window, whenever I like to.
So, when I want to change the window, I look for the vout object to get the window id and the pointer do the display. This seems to work fine. Then I tried for example to lower the window with XLowerWindow behind other windows on the screen.
I can compile the hole thing without a warning, but when I start vlc with my interface module I get an error:

[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/control/libacentic_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/vlc/control/libacentic_plugin.so: undefined symbol: XLowerWindow)

It seems there is something missing, when I compile vlc. I included my module in vlc like it is described in "VLC media player API Documentation/How to write an interface plugin".

Does my module become a gui module because of this and do I have to put it into the gui branche ? Or do I have to describe some dependencies somewhere ?

BTW, I'm working with Fedora Core 3, vlc 0.8.1 and standard XWindows.

I'd appreciate any help or thoughts on this.

Thomas