[vlc] Re: vlc 0.8.1, Unichrome Pro, no video

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri Jun 3 10:44:21 CEST 2005

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 05:27:20 +0100, MagicITX <magicitx at gmail.com> wrote:

> I compiled and installed the 20050601 snapshot.  I can now leave the
> chroma unspecified and it works fine.  However I'm still seeing a 40%
> cpu utilization for vlc and 15% for X.  It says its using Xv but I
> assume from these numbers it is not using the h/w
> acceleration/decoding.
>
> To us h/w decoding vlc would need to link to the wrapper
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCW.so or directly to libviaXvMCPro.so.  I can't
> tell from the build scripts if it does either of these.  Suggestions?

 From a previous email:

"You won't get h/w mpeg decoding but you know that right? The best
  you will get is XV acceleration."

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just linking to the library. We
also need to write a video output module that uses the capabilities
provided by the module.

Both mplayer and xine already had xvmc support and this was easily
extendable to unichrome xxmc.

It shouldn't be overly difficult, but the unichrome developers use
mplayer and xine and so that is where they concentrated their efforts.

There is somebody working on this but he hasn't released source code
to date.

Dermot.