[vlc] Sound problem when trying to read DV from input

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni maddingue at free.fr
Sat Jun 4 20:25:00 CEST 2005

Hello,

First, thanks for all the people who made VideoLAN possible, it's a
great product, which makes streaming video look like a easy task.

Now, I have a problem with (as said in the subject) the sound when I
try to read a DV stream from standard input. I searched on VideoLAN web
site and forums, and first made sure that the IEEE1394 subsystem worked
properly with

     dvgrab - | mplayer -

and it works perfectly: the image and the sound are very good, with
only a half-second delay due to the processing.

Next when I try

     dvgrab - | vlc -

it doesn't work. After searching even more on the forums, I found a
post that advised to add :demux=rawdv

     dvgrab - | vlc - :demux=rawdv

Now I have the image and the sound, but the sound is extremely awful:
there's a very loud noise which cover most of the normal sound. Trying
with a headset to avoid a potential audio loop, I hear that it's the
right channel which has this noise.

I was unable to fond documentation on this :demux option, or on this
rawdv demuxer.

Does someone have an idea or know where I could find more documentation?

Thanks in advance

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni
Close the world, txEn eht nepO