[vlc] Re: Packet Burst

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Tue Jun 7 22:55:18 CEST 2005

Howard Johnson <Howard.Johnson at adtran.com> writes:

>    We have been doing some testing with VLC as well as some Video-over-IP
>    hardware providers (e.g. Skystream, Thales, etc).
>    In our testing we have noticed that VLC (in server mode) tends to
>    overload some switches and DSLAMS.  The only cause that we have found
>    so far is that, compared to others, VLC bursts about 8 packets at a
>    time.  Others tend to burst a lot less... around 4 packets at a time.
>    Has this packet burst been a problem for anyone else???

Which kind of packets are you talking about?  IP/UDP packet or MPEG-TS
packets?  MPEG-TS over UDP is often sent as 7 TS packets per UDP
packet, to avoid fragmented UDP packets.  I have seen this behavior
from a Tandberg unit I experimented with.  With a bitrate of 5Mbps,
this works out to approximately one packet every 2 ms.  The Kasenna
Mediabase, however, sends fragmented UDP packets of nearly 64k.  This
obviously gives a rather bursty pattern, but works OK on a LAN.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com