[vlc] Re: problem about debug vlc using gdb

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Jun 9 15:02:45 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:13:13PM +0800, zuo bf wrote:
> I want to use gdb to debug vlc, but why after i type
> run vlc **.mp4
> there is no window poping up and the gdb keeps running, why?
opening vlc inside gdb takes extremly log time. You have two options that
are better.
1: enable core-dumps and do post mortal debug
2: start vlc first and attach gdb afterwards

Note that for most work vlc is very timing dependant, and it is fairly
unlikely that the problem will be reproducable when running inside gdb,
since everything is much slower then. This is the main reason for post
mortal debug.

Also you should consider using valgrind if relevant.

Sigmund

> thanks.

Sigmund Augdal
Edgar B. Schieldropsv 29-14