[vlc] Re: using vlc to play on the fly

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Jun 11 08:40:16 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 06:04:43AM -0000, firaz peer wrote:

> Hi,
>   i have written a program which records data from the microphone. i want to
>   use vlc to convert the audio to mpeg format and play it on the fly. i went
>   through the code but dont know where to start. could you please give me
>   some hints.
You want vlc to both play the audio and store it as mp3 at the same time? Or
you want one vlc to convert the audio to mp3 and send it over the network
and another to play it?

For the first alternative (assuming audio is coming into vlc on stdin, in a format
vlc can understand).
vlc - :sout="#transcode{acodec=mp3}:duplicate{dst=display},dst="file/raw://mymp3.mp3"}"

Something like that.

For the second alternative please see the streaming howto. Still use - as
input to read from stdin.

Also note that vlc can read from a microphone all by itself on windows and
linux, provided the microphone does not used unstandard apis.

Sigmund

--
Sigmund Augdal
Edgar B. Schieldropsv 29-14