[vlc] Re: VLC TS ratio ?

James Yates james.yates at packetvision.com
Mon Jun 13 13:53:00 CEST 2005

 From what I have seen of VLC after looking through the code, VLC no
longer supports constant Bitrate TS. So no NULL packet padding of the
stream is done, thus the bitrate of the stream changes constantly. Look
at the shaping_delay parameter within the code. Sometime ago, VLC
appeared to output constant bitrate TS but a major re-write of the muxer
was made and it now only supports variable bitrate. Unless anyone disagrees.
   I was trying to do exactly the same as this. My solution, take VLC,
rip the part of the DVD either on the fly or to a VOB file. Get VLC to
generate an MPEG2 ps. You can then use another programme to generate a
constant bitrate TS. VLC is great but MPEG2 TS support isn't so you will
have to find another solution. I use a windows programme called Transmux
from pixeltools.com which is a really good muxer. There are lots of open
source equivalents though.

    Good Luck

--
James Yates