[vlc] Re: basic question about codec

list at scttransport.dk list at scttransport.dk
Tue Jun 14 17:54:46 CEST 2005

A codec is normally considered either for audio or video. Mpeg, avi, mov etc
are not codecs, they are containers (which contains stuff that have been
encoded with a codec)

Codecs are divx, xvid, mp3, h.264 etc. etc.

It can be confusing though since some formats are normally just mentioned as
1, like windows media files or quicktime files.

A place I would recommend if u want to know more, is www.doom9.org
<http://www.doom9.org/>  which contains a lot of info on video encoding.

Cheers

Jonas Larsen