[vlc] VLC and Mozilla Plugin with SUSE 9.3 Linux

Eisberg, Reinhard reinhard.eisberg at desy.de
Thu Jun 16 15:28:52 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am a quite unexperienced Linux user.
Nevertheless I have set up a SUSE 9.3  Linux so far.

I seem to have (almost) successfully installed the VLC 0.8.1 client
(VLC-0.8.1-0.pm.9.i686.rpm package) after resolving all the package
dependencies.

When opening a network stream (udp unicast or multicast) I only can hear
the sound, but there is no video when using the video codec mp4v
on the sender side.
I have opened the message window and I am getting permanently the
message:

Packetizer_mpeg4video warning: waiting for VOL
I have tried to use DIV3 on the sender side and everything is ok.

What is going wrong when receiving an mp4v encoded video ?
Is there something missing or do I have to do some special configuration
?

And yet another question:

I have installed the packet vlc-0.8.1-0.pm.9.i686.rpm and
vlc-mozillaplugin-0.8.1-0.pm.9.i686.rpm
provided by Quentin Denis on SUSE 9.3.

Vlc itself seems to work so far, however I cannot get it working with
the mozilla plugin neither with Mozilla itself nor with Firefox.

Both seem to be binary packages, therefore I guess there is nothing left
to compile - but to configure ?

After installation I have found 2 files: libvlcplugin.so in the
/opt/mozilla/lib/plugin folder and vlcintf.xpt in the
/opt/mozilla/lib/components folder.
The path is correct ?

What else has to be done ?

Thank you in advance