[vlc] Adding a data stream

Juan Rojas j.rojas at tiba.com
Thu Jun 16 19:26:12 CEST 2005

Hi,
First, I'm running VLC 0.8.1 on Gentoo 2.6.11-r9 and I'm using an Osprey 100
card and VLC is capturing and streaming properly (telnet console is great!!)
What I'm trying to do is to use VLC to store a television feed for
monitoring and archiving purposes, but I need to find a way to save a
timestamp inside the stream in order to know when each image was captured.
As I could understand, timecode field is relative to the beginning of the
file, so, if I miss file's creation date (no matter the reason), I will not
be able to know when a video has been captured.
I was thinking in adding a new data stream which will save periodic
timestamp information inside the file, so target file will include a video
stream, one or more audio streams and a data stream with this information.
I'm new in this field so, first, I don't know if it is possible, and if so,
if someone has done it before.
Can someone help me?
Best regards and thank you in advance.
Juan