[vlc] SAP problems in 0.8.2-test2

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Mon Jun 20 09:03:53 CEST 2005

Hi all,

  vlc 0.8.2-test2 has completely new SAP listener support, which is
a significant step forward. However, I think it might be good to fix
some problems before official release:

- the SAP listener is not able to accept several SAPs describing sessions
originating from the same server. If the sap.cfg contains identical
"machine" lines for several programs (of course with different "address"
and "name" lines), the SAP listener only accepts the first one.

- in 0.8.1, specifying non-standard SAP multicast address automatically
disabled listening on the default SAP address (224.2.127.254). With
0.8.2-test2 the non-standard address is just added to the standard ones.
So it's not possible to disable listening for global SAP announcements
(approx. 120 SAPs).

- vlc now has livedotcom input (activated by disabling "Try to parse SAP"
in Preferences), which is able to fix packet reordering introduced by some
network configurations/equipment. Although several vlc/vls users transmit
their programs using TS over RTP, miniSAPserver has no support for generating
SAPs for TS over RTP yet. So we're seeing a lot of SAPs for TS over RAW UDP,
although the broadcast is in fact TS over RTP. This is of course bad practise
and confuses e.g. livedotcom input, which can't be used in such case for
fixing packet-reordering problems. The change in miniSAP server is very
straightforward, instead of generating SAPs with:

m=video 1234 udp 33
a=type:udp
a=mux:m2t
a=packetformat:RAW

there should be:

m=video 1234 RTP/AVP 33
a=rtpmap:33 MP2T/90000

I'd suggest that TS over RTP should be used by default, since overhead is
minimal and it's standard solution (with support for fixing reordering).

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----