[vlc] Re: google using VLC based player?

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jun 27 20:02:29 CEST 2005

Le Lundi 27 Juin 2005 15:58, Cian Cullinan a écrit :
> Any of the developers care to comment on this story in Slashdot
> today? http://battellemedia.com/archives/001658.php
> Apparently Google are launching some kind of video archiving service
> and plan "an in-browser video playback feature based on the open
> source VLC media player."  Anyone know anything more about this,
> especially details about the player?

Well, you can download it from their website (as well as the diff to
their modification). Surprisingly, it's based on our very recent 0.8.2
release. Well... not so surprisingly given it's the first version with
the ActiveX plugin for IE. I don't know if they were waiting for us to
release or if they'd have used a -test release otherwise.

I've had a quick look at the -pretty small- diff
( http://code.google.com/vlc-diff.txt ). As far as I could see, it
consists of :
- putting Google's name every now and then,
- fixing one or two bugs in the Mozilla and IE plugins,
- locking our HTTP module so that it will only connect to
  video.google.com,
- heavily customizing the installer script (actually, most of the
patch).

There's definitely no DRM stuff, or it's not in their diff. In other
words, I suppose the official non-Google VLC should be able to access
Google Video with no modifications (unless they check the User-Agent).

Besides, they've disabled most features, so that the whole binary
installer fits in 1 Mo. Admittedly, our own binaries are getting a bit
too fat, by the way :) I've not checked, but I suppose they've removed
all streaming/recording capabilities as well.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/