[vlc] timestamp in video while transcoding from file to file

GALAD77 GALAD77 at terra.es
Thu Mar 10 12:57:30 CET 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to play a streaming input to a file, applying the -time
filter transcode option. The process works fine, but if I transcode from
one file (f1.ts) to another one (f2.ts) applying the time-filter option,
the resulting file (f2.ts) does not contain accurately the time label.
I think this is caused because vlc works 'as fast as it can'. So while
playing the file, each second the time is update; on the other hand, if
transcoding from file to file is .say, 3 times quicker, then the
visualized time label in the f2.ts is changed three times slower.
Is there a way to correct this issue?

I think the time filter is very useful, but it can only be applied with
a transcode option, which is very CPU consuming. Is there a way to play
a stream/file (that has no time-label) with vlc so that it inserts the
time-label without transcoding?
In this case, is it possible to indicate a time starting point, without
taking it from the system's clock (the source file could be dated a
month ago)?

Thanks,

G.