[vlc] Re: measure dropped frame rates; what happens when a frame drops?

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Mar 15 00:21:10 CET 2005

On 14 mrt 2005, at 14:45, Benjamin Pracht wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005, Eric Jonas wrote :
>> Hello! I'm using VLC under OSX; I have two questions:
>>
>> 1. If I play a video, is there any way to get the number of dropped
>> frames?
>
> Well, this should be displayed as debug message in the Window->info
> dialog...
>
>> 2. What exactly happens when you drop a frame?
>
> AFAIK, the previous frame is only remplced when a new one is decoded,
> so
> that would be behaviour 1

Also note that VLC usually tries to do everything it can to prevent
framedropping. Framedropping should only occur during significant CPU
load or if the CPU is too slow to decode the video.
If it does drop, it usually drops HARD. especially on mpeg4 style data,
it usually drops a slew of frames. (but it will always be true to the
original timeline of the video).

Best just make sure that you video doesn't encouter those situations.

DJ
---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)