[vlc] How To Create DVDs (Windows)

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 23:28:08 CET 2005

Hi --
This comes up periodically, so I wrote up what I've been doing.

The non-VLC tools that I use are Windows-specific, but other open-source
options are available for *nix and Mac, I believe.

Perhaps someone could add the info for *nix tools, then this could go up on
the Wiki?

Mark

Using VLC to create a DVD

Format a file into a .mpg, mpeg ps encapsulation, mp2v video [4 mbps].

For audio, mp2a 2-channel 192K works well.  If you need more channels, use
a52 and increase the bitrate; budget 64 or 96K/channel (2 channels 192K, 6
channel 384K,...

A DVD format file should be 720x480 resolution for NTSC (US), or 720x586
resolution for PAL.

Set the --sout-transcode-fps to match your target, using 30 for NTSC, 25 for
PAL.

Set the --sout-ffmpeg-keyint to 16 (possibly not needed, but I use this and
it works)

Use the --aspect-ratio switch to control things.  For instance, a normal US
TV format would have an --aspect-ratio of 4:3; the same if you were working
with a Webcam or framegrabber having, for instance, a 320x240 or 640x480
input.  You need to specify this so that the transcoding doesn't make the
output video "fat", stretch things to fit the wider DVD width.  Standard DVD
"letterbox" has an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Here is a sample, in Windows.  The .asf source movie is normal US TV format.

vlc C:\Movies\DiveModules1to3_2Mbps.asf
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,channels=2}:
duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ps,url="C:\TEMP\Dive1_3_out.mpg"}}
--aspect-ratio "4:3"  --sout-transcode-width 720 --sout-transcode-height 480
--sout-transcode-fps 30  --sout-ffmpeg-keyint 16

For Windows, working free tools are DVDHive and CDBurnerXP Pro.  These tools
are available at:
http://dvd-hive.sourceforge.net/
and
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Download and install both apps.

Launch DVD Hive
-Select Options, type in a name you want for the video
-Select Add, then browse to the .mpg file and select it.
-Select Hive -- it will create a .iso image.
-If the resulting ISO is < 4.4GB you should be OK.  Otherwise reencode with
VLC, knocking the bitrate down a bit.
(the 4 mbps mp2v/192k mp2a works fine, with a full-length video)

Launch CDBurnerXP
A "New Compilation" window opens -- pick the first choice, which says
"...and/or burn an ISO image..."
In the upper left corner of the main window, select File -- Write Disc From
ISO File
"Write ISO Image" screen opens.
"No ISO Image" -- click the "..." button next to it, and browse to where you
put the .ISO  (DVD-Hive defaults to putting it in c:\program files\DVD
Hive\ISO).
"Writing Speed" -- select the minimum value specified for your media and DVD
drive.  For example, my DVD supports 8X write, but I often use 4X write
media, so I change it to say 4X.
"Write Disc" -- click it, and the image will be burned.