[vlc] Re: VLC and MPEG-4

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Mon Mar 21 20:54:34 CET 2005

Hi.

sunil bhargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>          Thanks for the reply...
> 1) Now i am bit confused can VLC be used as server or
> not for VOD.

It can - apparently. However it might not serve all combinations
of codecs so it may depend on what you want to do - as always.

> 2) also can the VOD be streamed as RTSP as menioned
> below
> http://videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch05.html
> but somewhere else it is also written that VOD is
> only http encapsulation
> http://www.videolan.org/doc/videolan-howto/en/ch11.html#id2540262
> can somebody please clarify these two things ...

It might work on certain codecs and it seems to implement part of the
RTSP protocol, however it didn't work for me when trying to stream a
recorded MPEG-4 file and the mpeg4-iod was missing in the sdp response
to a RTSP DESCRIBE. This may not be mandatory, but makes compability
harder. But I think there is a basic stream server in VLC.

have fun.

--PMM