[vlc] VLC Media Player

Milan Markovic milmar at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 00:25:35 CET 2005

Dear VideoLAN,
I hope that I am not out of line here and I apologize in advance if you find my question annoying.
I have tried VLC Media Player (vlc-0.8.1-win32) on my Windows 2000 based computer for OGM and avi files and I am very delighted with the quality of video and audio.

However, I find it disappointing that subtitles are not loaded automatically.

I believe that I have followed the instructions for set-up found in your documentation but, the only way to see subtitles is to
a)start VLC,
b)preselect subtitle file up front and than
c)start the main video file.

Other media player (WMP, DivX, MediaONE+ etc...) play subtitles automatically if the sub file is in the same folder and has the same name as the video file.

Questions:
Q1. Can VLC automatically detect subtitles?
Q2. If yes, how do I set it up. The documentation is unclear.
Q3. If not, can you please consider to upgrade VLC media player.

With regards,
Milan Markovic
milmar at comcast.net