[vlc] Re: obtaining time from a ts file

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Mar 23 02:34:42 CET 2005

Mark Moriarty wrote:

> You would need to save into, for instance, MPEG PS.  It simply adds the
> proper header information describing file characteristics.

Um, really?  Do you know what the structure is called?  I ask because
I've got a program that figures out the length of an MPEG-2 PS, and it
simply counts frames.  On the gigabyte-plus videos we typically deal in,
this takes a long time.  If there's a single place I can look for the
time, that would be very nice.

Naturally, VideoLan could do what I did with TS streams.  Probably the
reason it isn't done now is that it's an O(n) algorithm.