[vlc] Re: obtaining time from a ts file

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Mar 23 02:51:52 CET 2005

Mark Moriarty wrote:

> I'm not sure, but there's something there.  When I open a 3.7GB MPEG PS .mpg
> movie in WMP, it opens virtually instantaneously, and I get a slider showing
> proper duration.  The disk isn't grinding away.

I wonder if they're simply estimating it.  By looking at the first few
hundred frames, you can get an idea of what the bitrate is.  Between
that and the file size, you can estimate run time.

You can probably find out whether this is the case by comparing the run
time WMP gives vs. what you get in, say, Teco Ltd.'s Bitrate Viewer.