[vlc] Re: no video or audio in vlc

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 14:09:54 CEST 2005

It's possibly because the movies have unsupported video coding (CODEC).  VLC
is self-contained (you cannot add external CODECs), and while it does
support many formats, it does not handle some proprietary (closed source)
codecs, such an IV60, Real)

If you open View -- Messages before starting one of those films, or have a
log console open, you will likely see a message like:
Main  no suitable codec for...