[vlc] Startup sync anomalies for RTSP MPEG-4

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu May 12 14:00:13 CEST 2005

Hi.

Using VLC 0.8.1 for viewing RTSP streamed Live MPEG-4, I observe
various undesired startup anomalies for VLC that are not seen when
using Quicktime 6.5.1/6.5.2 on the same live streams.

When everything works fine, both for Quicktime and VLC, the player
starts buffering and then starts displaying video and plays audio.
After a few seconds, the video freezes for moment to sync video to
audio (as a result of RTCP time stamp sync) while audio normally
is played without interruption.

However, frequently I see shortly after start (1-2 seconds) VLC
start freezing video for many seconds maybe between 10 and 50
seconds (while playing audio) before it finally finds the sync
and starts displaying the video again. Less frequently, it
misses playing the audio at all. At the same time, the streams
plays flawlessly using Quicktime. For both I use RTP over RTSP
on a non congested network. It works BTW. also flawlessly with
mp4player from MPEG4IP.

Another anomaly I see is sometimes after the first second or so,
the video is displayed with a very slow framerate (0.3-3 fps) for
a stream normally at 25fps. Then after 10-50 seconds it plays
normally.

Has such problems been reported before and addressed (maybe in
the newer 0.8.2 soon to be released) ?

If anybody wants to see the anomalies for them selves, please drop
me an email and I'll send you a playlist with urls ,but seeing it
requires a decent quality 2Mbps internet connection. Since it is
copyrighted live TV-channels, please include your IP-address in the
email so I can open for your specific IP-address for this test.

Kind regards

--PMM