[vlc] Re: Region Free

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon May 23 21:03:50 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005, Robert Yu wrote :
> By default does libdvdcss handle RP-C2 drives? If not, what to I use
> to crowbar the damn thing? I've bought some region 3 movies and I'd
> like to use them.

There is no absolute answer to this... When libdvdcss first came out,
it supported all RPC2 region free (as livdvdcss reads data differently
from traditional DVD reading sofwares). However, some constructors have
begun adding some low level region check livdvdcss cannot override. If
you own such a driver, your only solution is to flash your drive using a
RPC-1 frimware.

Please also brear in mind that livdvdcss sometimes have hard times
reading dvds from a player that hasn't initially to a region, whatever
it is...

--
BigBen