[vlc] Re: The Navigation Slider

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Tue May 24 11:27:16 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:08:28AM +0200, Etienne Bernard wrote:
> In relation to the navigation slider, is there a reason that the slider isn't
> displayed with http input ?
>
> If I recall correctly, the size information on an avi file is located at the
> end of the file, but then why not perform a range HTTP request to fetch it ?
There is a reason, and it is a bit influct. vlc's avi reader has two modes:
one when seeking is allowed, the other when seeking is not allowed. When
seeking is allowed the avi reader seeks a lot. and using the vlc http reader
seeking is very slow (cause it closes the connection and opens a new
connection with the appropriate range request). This causes horrible
performance when playing avi over http with the seeking reader. Therefore
some time ago there were a desition to use the non-seeking reader for avi
over http. For obvious reasons the seek bar cannot be shown when using the
non-seeking avi reader.

Note that for some other file types, the slider bar is shown over http,

Sigmund

> --
> Etienne BERNARD <eb at pltplp.net>

Sigmund Augdal