[vlc] Re: The Navigation Slider

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Tue May 24 13:51:02 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:44:08AM +0200, Etienne Bernard wrote:
> Le Mardi 24 Mai 2005 11:27, vous avez écrit :
> > > If I recall correctly, the size information on an avi file is located at
> > > the end of the file, but then why not perform a range HTTP request to
> > > fetch it ?
> >
> > There is a reason, and it is a bit influct. vlc's avi reader has two modes:
> > one when seeking is allowed, the other when seeking is not allowed. When
> > seeking is allowed the avi reader seeks a lot. and using the vlc http
> > reader seeking is very slow (cause it closes the connection and opens a new
> > connection with the appropriate range request). This causes horrible
> > performance when playing avi over http with the seeking reader. Therefore
> > some time ago there were a desition to use the non-seeking reader for avi
> > over http. For obvious reasons the seek bar cannot be shown when using the
> > non-seeking avi reader.
> >
> > Note that for some other file types, the slider bar is shown over http,
> >
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> If I understand correctly, the solution here would be to have a third avi
> reader that only seeks to get meta information about the stream. Well, maybe
> one day I'll have a look at the code... ;-)
This will not necessarily work. Many solutions have been discussed though,
none have been implemented. Most probably a better caching mechanism between
avi reader and http module would be the best solution. Or using chunked
requests and reusing the same http connection.

> Anyway, can you tell me what file types support the slide bar over http? I
> need to know if it's worth transcoding my files, or if I should focus on a
> more usable http interface.
Ogg/ogm, mpeg and possibly mkv. Depending on the codecs used in your avi
files you could convert to some of these using a simple remux.

Sigmund

> --
> Etienne BERNARD <eb at pltplp.net>

Sigmund Augdal