[vlc] Re: Playing vlc-encoded video in Windows Media Player

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Tue May 24 19:05:03 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005, Damien Leri wrote :
> Hi,
>
> I'm capturing video from an video camera (via Osprey card) and using
> VLC 0.8 to encode it.
>
> Which of the VLC-bundled codecs can WMP play (out of the box)? I
> would like to stay away from WMV format so that I can support other
> players.
>
> I'm trying vcodec=mp4v,mux=asf and others such as mp2v. But WMP claims
> not to have a codec for these...

Well, WMP only supports WMV and mpeg1, out of the box, AFAIK. I don't
know if WMP reads MPEG1 in mms (you should give a try). Otherwise, VLC
comes with an (uncomplete and though not to efficient, but which should
produce compilant streams) WMV1/2 encoder.

If you are under windows, VLC 0.8.1 can also make use of the WMV1/2/3
encoder MS ships with wxindows...

--
BigBen