[vlc] Re: Needing help with vlc, mozilla, and javascript

Travis Johnson Travis.Johnson at nwea.org
Wed Nov 2 23:45:11 CET 2005

No worries... we all get busy eh :)

I think it may be too late.  I figured out how to circumvent the problem
I was initially having (by using the API functions rather changing the
src/target properties.)  I used a Javascript function that would always
call clear_playlist, and then add the new clip to be played.

However, we noticed that if a user rapidly clicked an icon that would
play an audio clip, it caused VLC (and the rendering engine, and then
our application) to crash.

Our target audience will be Kindergarten and First-graders, so this is a
very real problem.

I ended up creating a small Flash movie (less than 300bytes!) that
handles our mp3 clip playback.  Unfortunately this method has had its
own problems (Javascript to Flash-plugin communication on the Mac).  I
think we finally have something working using this method.

We're also looking at the possibility of including something directly
into our host application (as opposed to relying on the web engine and
its related plugins).  Might this be possible with VLC?  How/where might
I best investigate this?

Tj