[vlc] Re: Cannot stream via RTSP from Bitband VOD server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 9 02:21:38 CET 2005

>I know a lot of the developers are not keen on this, but in reality
>if they want to use VLC with the widest range of VoD servers, then
>the client will need to be adapted so you can specify what "flavour"
>of RTSP you want to talk to a particular server.

Sorry, but that's just not going to happen.  (It was bad enough
having to hack the RTSP client code to try to work with the
non-standard 'Kasenna' server.  There's just no way we can continue
to hack the code to support every little fly-by-night server that
chooses to arbitrarily violate the RTSP standard.)

>  Just about every server i have ever seen has done things slightly
> differently from setup to trickplay support.

That's all well and good; however, there's just one RTSP
standard.  Apart from QuickTime Player (which is also
standards-compliant), VLC is probably the most widely-deployed RTSP
client in the world.  We have the power to insist that servers comply
with us - not the other way round.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>