[vlc] Re: Cannot stream via RTSP from Bitband VOD server

Paul Rae PRae at aminocom.com
Wed Nov 9 11:12:58 CET 2005

Whilst I fully understand Ross's point of view I have to disagree slightly. (I never thought I would actually argue to support non standards compliancy!!)

However whilst having a standards compliant client is a wonderful thing, that is of little use to a most users as they will be unable to use it against 90% of servers. Nick's instance is a perfect example of this. Whilst I fully understand your views of keeping it completely standards compliant you need to look at the user base, and the majority of them are going to be looking at using and testing it against commercial products such as Kasenna, Seachange, Entone, Eona, Bitband, etc ... I wasn't suggesting you drop the RFC compliant client, just offer different modes to allow functionality with other servers.

>>Sorry, but that's just not going to happen.  (It was bad enough
>>having to hack the RTSP client code to try to work with the
>>non-standard 'Kasenna' server.  There's just no way we can continue
>>to hack the code to support every little fly-by-night server that
>>chooses to arbitrarily violate the RTSP standard.)

"fly-by-night servers" is a tad harsh I believe, Kasenna is a fairly big player in the VoD market and whilst their products have their quirks they are certainly not fly-by-night.

>>That's all well and good; however, there's just one RTSP
>>standard.  Apart from QuickTime Player (which is also
>>standards-compliant), VLC is probably the most widely-deployed RTSP
>>client in the world.  We have the power to insist that servers comply
>>with us - not the other way round.

I agree however the counter argument could be considered. What is the value of the most widely deployed client, that cannot be used against a wide number of servers? Whilst I wish your sentiments were true, you have to look at the reality that they will not listen to you. It is in ever server vendor's interest not to be completely standards complient from a comercial point of view. In addition to this a lot of the functionality people need, automatic failover, each of these all break the standards a little bit, but that doesnt prevent customers wanting it. IMHO the stanards are in long need of a update but that is a different matter all together.