[vlc] No text on screen using Linux X11 with vlc 0.8.2

Paul Volkaerts paul.volkaerts at lineone.net
Sun Nov 13 21:03:13 CET 2005

Hi;

I just downloaded and compiled VLC 0.8.2 on a Fedora Core 2 linux and
compiled with wxwindows, and whilst it compiles and runs ok, the window has
no text in it.  Even the menu bar names (File, View, Settings etc) are
missing, though if I click on where the text-item should be it correctly
opens the submenu, though again all the text is missing.

So it looks like its working perfrectly apart from displaying the text.  I
thought initially it was the language but I ran with debug on and I can see
that the en_GB language is being picked.  I guess the next obvious thing is
the font selection but I don't know how to check this.

I built with ...

[00000000] main root debug: libvlc was configured with
./configure --enable-debug --disable-libmpeg2 --enable-wxwindows --enable-x1
1 --disable-gtk --disable-gnome

Any ideas?

Thanks;
Paul