[vlc] shuffle behavior

Jonathan Nelson jnelson at phossie.com
Fri Nov 18 20:45:27 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

I searched the list archives, bug system, fora, faq, etc, and did not
find any clear mention of this UI logic issue.

In the playlist, there are three toggle buttons for play mode: shuffle,
repeat all, and repeat one.  Here with VLC 0.8.2-test2 / wxwindows /
WinXP, shuffle mode does not behave as I expect.

Current behavior: shuffle plays the playlist randomly without ever stopping.

Expected behavior: shuffle plays the playlist randomly until each item
has been played once, and then it stops.

I expect the behavior above because the play control buttons are
independent toggles.  In other words, if I want shuffle play to go on
indefinitely, I should turn on both Shuffle and Loop All.  If I want to
see each item once but in random order, I should turn on just Shuffle.

(I don't know how the logic I'm describing extends to the Loop One
button, but I don't think it's a crucial point.  Loop One is pretty well
defined!)

Thanks for VLC - wonderful bit of software and I'm very happy to have
it.  Would you consider modifying it a little?

Respectfully,

Jon