[vlc] Streaming an entire DVD

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Mon Nov 21 18:15:37 CET 2005

I am trying to stream a DVD over a network. Since not
all of my test machines have DVD drives, I wanted to
copy the DVD as a single MPEG-2 file and then stream
that file.

Using vlc 0.8.2 on a WinXP machine, I tried:

vlc -vvv dvd:// --sout file/ts:test.mpg --sout-all

but this only saved the initial menu to the 'test.mpg'
file. The '--sout-all' didn't seem to have any effect.

I then tried:

vlc -vvv dvdsimple:// --sout file/ts:test.mpg --sout-all

But this results in only the first chapter being stored.

I ended up displaying the DVD on the PC and then selecting
each menu item individually and "streaming" it to a file.

Was I using '--sout-all' incorrectly? Or is there another
way to stream an entire DVD (all chapters) without user
intervention?

Thanks,
- Harshal