[vlc] Re: streaming a webcam with vlc in real time

Viktor Kompaneyets vato at wnet.ua
Fri Nov 25 09:36:14 CET 2005

Mark Moriarty wrote:

> Go to mpeg ts, UDP multicast, mpeg whatever CODEC, you should be about 700
> ms (also make sure you knock down the caches at the client end).
> I've heard you can get to about 200 ms, possibly, with RTP.  Does anyone
> have a good sample?  (mine is at work).

You can achive latency, not less, than keyframerate*2. So, if you try set
stream to send only I-frames (in MPEGs, for example) with 25 fps, it is
(theoretically) possible to get 2/25s = 80ms latency. In real life I'd
achieved only 160-200ms, with 15fps. There are bottlenecks in CPU power and
network throuthput.

--
Viktor Kompaneyets
Wnet project manager