[vlc] Mozilla VLC Plugin Style Problem.

Daniel Yount factorf2 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 09:42:00 CEST 2005

  It seems That FireFox and Mozilla have moved
 to a new standard for plugins. That would be
 Xembed from the old Netscape style.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/xembed-plugin-extension.html

 This causes a problem because VLC is written in the
Netscape style. FireFox will recognize the plugin, but
will not play it. The Flash Plugin will work, I have
looked in the code and it seems it works only because
of a hack to do so. The PDF plugin also does not work
in Firefox.

 I was wondering if VLC had plans to upgrade to
 the Xembed style or make a hack like the flash one in
the FireFox source tree.

 I am looking into it to see If I can convert it or
hack it to work. But any help would be super.

 Also as a note KDE's browser still "only" supports
 the older netscape style and works fine. so you may
 still want to keep both versions if you do upgrade
 to a Xembed style.

Daniel Yount
Icarus Factor
factorf2 at yahoo.com