[vlc] Re: vod and TCP

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Oct 3 20:21:57 CEST 2005

Le Lundi 3 Octobre 2005 19:55, johnny Laura a écrit :
> I love VLC and I wana use this to make vod stream with VLM; but i
> noticed that vod streamed videos using the UDP transport protocol,
> thus there are a problem wit clients behind NAT; is there a way to
> make stream with vod using TCP transport protocol??

If you really want to use TCP-based streaming for VoD, the most simple
solution would consist of serving the files with your favorite web
server, and accessing them with VLC media player's HTTP input. That's
what Google Video does.

That said, TCP-based (whether RTSP or HTTP) streaming is a usually a
poor solution because it is far too sensitive to network congestion, if
the user's bandwidth is not so bigger than what the stream needs. UDP
and RTP/UDP recover from congestion much better.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/