[vlc] Re: how can I play rmvb format with vlc-0.8.2?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Oct 9 14:23:26 CEST 2005

Le Dimanche 9 Octobre 2005 13:26, Benjamin Pracht a écrit :
> Well, fast answer is you can't. Real codecs are proprietary and there
> is no open source real video decoder. VLC might include a binary
> loader for windows codecs in the future, but that won't be the case
> in 0.8.4.

It is likely that it never will. According to the GPL, while using the
binary loader with self-compiled source code is ok, it is very unclear
whether using the binary loader from a precompiled binary is not an
infringement.

Also, there's the issue of the DLL own licensing, and the fact that many
binary packagers will not include the binary so that VLC remains
"free" (e.g. Debian).

In other words, compile it yourself or use a source-based distribution.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/