[vlc] Re: VLC memory leaks?

Viktor Kompaneyets vato at wnet.ua
Mon Oct 17 15:52:41 CEST 2005

Oivind wrote:

> This is the most serious problem I have encountered using VLC.
>
> For a temporary solution, I have made a script that monitors memory
> usage and multicast traffic rate, and restarts the vlc-process if a
> fail state is entered. This helps a bit.

Me too - my VLC instance is running in a "jail"-like environment, restarting
each time the swap begun...

> I'm not sure who is responsible for these leaks. For investigation,
> maybe you could provide a pmap of the process just prior to dying, or
> a core dump from a debug compiled version?

I'd tried to investigate VLC witha lot of memory-analysing tools, but I
can't produce the same stream load - also the analysis mess correctness.

Tried Valgrind and memprof...

Main conclusion - the leaks are of error-driven nature and produce _clean_
exit and memory free. The data structures are complete and are buffers,
that are not freed after keyframe...

The problem like that I'd encountered in ffmpeg2theora - and ffmpeg crew
said, that there are no leakage in libavcodec/libavformat :((

--
Viktor Kompaneyets
Wnet project manager