[vlc] Re: [vlc-devel] VLC and NAT

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Oct 18 13:04:41 CEST 2005

Le Jeudi 13 Octobre 2005 17:06, johnny Laura a écrit :
> Well I'm not a programmer, but I'd like to develop a little system
> for both NAT and VLC(vod enviroment) can work together without
> problems....

There is NO way to make NAT and VoD work seamlessly 100% of the time.
NAT are simply not meant for that kind of traffic.

The only partial solution that sounds practicable to me consists of
streaming over TCP, but it is prone to session stalling in case of
paclet loss; TCP is very poor at recovering from packet loss with
real-time traffic. With VLC, serving files from a web server is the
easiest way to do that (and Google Video does just that).

Any kind of UDP streaming through without the some external
"help" (UPnP, STUN, TURN, etc) is hardly possible, from a logical stand
point.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/