[vlc] Needing help with vlc, mozilla, and javascript

Travis Johnson Travis.Johnson at nwea.org
Thu Oct 20 01:43:28 CEST 2005

Greetings,

I am trying to use a single embed object, and just change the src/target
properties via Javascript in an html page.

If I set the target property to my audio clip in the html, I can play it
by document.audioClip.play().  If I instead set the embed tag's src
value to my audio clip, it will play automatically upon page load (not
what I want).  I can still play it with the .play() call.

However, the target param for an embed tag does not appear to be
standards-compliant... it is not accessible by Javascript.  I can
get/set the src param via Javascript.  But it only plays what was
pointed to by the src value in the actual html.

I can do...

alert(document.audioClip.src);                 // current src value,
what was defined in the html, ie: file1.mp3

document.audioClip.src = "file2.mp3";      // change to a different file

alert(document.audioClip.src);                 // proves that source WAS
was changed to new file

document.audioClip.play();                      // plays file that was
defined in html, NOT file2.mp3

But it just doesn't seem to be working.

Can anyone get this working?  Is there a bug in the vlc/plugin? Any
ideas as to whats going on here?  I can provide code samples if needed.

Regards,

Travis Johnson