[vlc] trying to comple 0.8.5 on osx 10.3.9

Steve MacLaren samaclaren at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 02:20:06 CEST 2006

Have posted this on the forums - many views but no replies...

  I am trying to compile the latest vlc 0.8.5 from svn://svn.videolan.org/vlc/trunk vlc-trunk on OS X 10.3.9 (using Xcode version 1.5, gcc 3.3)

  I am following the directions at:
  http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html

  I get the following error during make:

  ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
  /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
  /Users/steve/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
  make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make: *** [all] Error 2

Renaming either libiconv.dylib or libintl.dylib to try to resolve  the  conflict results in errors complaining about the missing file.  libiconv.dylib in /usr/lib is a link to libiconv.2.dylib, dated 13 May  2006, which I assume was put there when I did "make src" in  /extras/contrib. I tried downloading and installing gnu libiconv 1.9.2  (supposedly the latest version) into /usr/local/.  Then the error  becomes:

    ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
  /usr/local/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
  /Users/steve/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
  make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make: *** [all] Error 2

  I'm stuck!