[vlc] Re: where is X?

Christopher Vance cjsvance at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 14:23:10 CEST 2006

Christophe et al, hi.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm really thankful for the help you're
all giving me.

> the next question is: are they loaded ? try vlc --list . Is x11 listed ?

no

I've just run ldd on /usr/local/lib/vlc/video_output/libx11_plugin.so
on the build machine (a chroot on Ubuntu), and on the running machine
(Thinstation linux), and find the list of libraries is different - on
the running machine, the X libraries are missing.

In my frustration, I have actually run a build of the Ubuntu (Dapper)
.deb, to compare it with the build I've done.

The Ubuntu build is 0.8.4.debian-1ubuntu6, while I'm building 0.8.5. I
did notice that the rules in the toplevel Makefile.am for building
vlc$(EXEEXT) include $(LIBS) on the Ubuntu 0.8.4, but not in the
unpatched 0.8.5. This sounds significant, but I'm not sure who has
taken the step to change this between the two versions.

-- C